In this article let’s figure out the answer of most important question of majority of the people in technology space which is Will web development be automated, obsolete, replaced by AI or is it dying? What will be the scope and future of web development.
I am sure if you know something about web development you must have also got this question in your mind at some point of time.
But I will try to give you a convenient answer to help you decide whether you should choose this career option or not so I would recommend you to read this article till the end.
Without further ADO let’s get started.
Will web development be automated, obsolete, replaced by AI or is it dying?
Before we understand whether web development is going to get automated and become obsolete and I think we should first understand what this career option is all about.
Web development is all about creating and managing website both frontend and backend. Web development can range from developing a simple single static page of plain text to complex web applications, electronic businesses, and social network services.
Now comes the question Will this carrier option get automated and replaced by artificial intelligence and become obsolete.
The short and long answer is no.
Web development cannot get completely replaced and automated by artificial intelligence and become obsolete.
But before we understand why web development cannot get replaced we should first understand why we had to ask this question in the first place.
People started getting the question of whether web development is going to die
because of rise of lots of new emerging tools and softwares and website builders which help you create a website using drag and drop feature as quickly as possible, like Wix, Weebly, squarespace, Tumblr, shopify, strikingly and elementor.
And the concern, the question of web developers is also logical, reasonable because these softwares and tools can help users to create websites instantly within a couple of minutes to a couple of hours
without any need of coding and having technical knowledge using these tools you can set up a website from scratch.
Out of them all, wix is considered to be the top player in website builder because it made creating website incredibly easy using drag and drop feature and
it is also very easy to use and beginner friendly because of that reason more than 200 million people use this tool across 190 different countries to create their website.
I absolutely agree that many people are using these website builders instead of hiring a web developer to create a website for many reasons like,
- It is cheaper to get a website builder compared to hire a web developer
- Creating a website on website builder does not require a lot of experience and any coding knowledge
- Creating a website on website builder is also very easy and simple
- You can use lots of Pre made templates to customise and edit the theme
But despite the emergence of all of this artificial intelligence tools and softwares, this still cannot completely replace web development as an industry and career option.
Let me tell you why, according to statista there are 1.7 billion websites on the internet.
Every 24 hours we get a 252,000 increase in the total number of websites worldwide, and especially after covid-19 pandemic every business have realised the importance of moving their business online,
hence they are putting more energy and investment in Getting their business online and creating a good website is the first step of moving a business online successfully.
And according to webfx, At least 73% of companies invest in design, from product to website design, so they can differentiate themselves from their online competitors.
When you’re competing with dozens of companies on the web, you need to give your website a unique touch to help you stand out, this is where graphic designers web designers and web developers come into the picture.
Even despite of many of these tools web development cannot get completely replaced and automated because,
- Web developer can help you create a website that is totally unique and custom made and totally different from your competitors websites because the fact is that, 75% of consumers admit to making judgements on a company’s credibility based on the company’s website design
- Even though there are lots of website builders, people still want to hire website developers and web designers so that they can spend their time in their own work and business rather than learning and creating a website which is not a good use of time to the business owners because of this you can find more than 11000 plus open jobs to apply on com website, & according to bls, employment of web developers and digital designers is projected to grow 13 percent from 2020 to 2030, The average freelance web developer earn around $75,430 per year. Freelance web developers charge an average of about $60 or an hour
Let’s take a look at some more interesting statistics regarding websites,
- 83% of people expecting your site to load in three seconds or less, Slow-loading websites lead to a $2.6 billion revenue loss each year, and websites that take more than 3 seconds to load reduce the conversion rate by 7% &
- 57% of internet users say they won’t recommend a business with a poorly designed website on mobile
- 61% of users are unlikely to return to a site on mobile if they had trouble accessing it and 40% visit a competitor’s site instead,
So it is not just about creating a website it is also about creating a website that loads faster and also looks beautiful and attractive for users and it is a lot of work for many business owners and companies and to do the work so they consider hiring someone to do the job.
Website builders can be a great platform if you just want to create a Portfolio website to showcase your skills but
if you are a serious business owner and want to increase your sales online and increase your branding then you cannot afford to create a website using website builder.
Apart from that if you want to solve any serious problem or you have thousands of post published on your website or
you have a huge Government website or any other large e Commerce website then they would rather choose a website developer instead of a website builder to manage the tasks.
Because if you choose website builder,
- You have limited customisation and readymade templates
- You cannot make much changes with the server side
- You cannot get access and manage the backend of your website & change or tweak with code of your website
- You cannot have a unique and different website because the templates used of All websites will be same
- Website builders are not really very secure like Wix
As a matter of fact you should know that it security of a website is both crucial aspect for the both users and the company, cyberattacks now cost companies $200,000 on average, putting many out of business,
Many companies, banks, and government organisations need the help of web developers and ethical hackers to improve the security of their website so that they do not get any cyber attack and
cause the data breach of their users on their website and if any cyber attacks happen on any company then apart from losing the money the company also loses the trust of the users on it.
And especially web development is a profession which requires creativity and problem-solving skills and design skills especially if you are a front end developer or
web designer Requires understanding of design, user psychology, and the goals of the business creating the website. If you love a creative challenge, web development can and will provide it.
Because of this reason even the artificial intelligence cannot completely replace humans because web development requires creativity, emotional intelligence, problem solving skills,
Understanding the psychology of humans, etc and thankfully these are some skills and traits which only humans have & AI can’t develop.
Web development is a complex process, it is possible that AI will be improved and may be able to write much better code than a website developer,
but it is also true that AI doesn’t have the ability to think out of the box where humans have this ability, and this allows web developers to think of creative ideas and develop unique website design which AI can’t.
Because every business is different which has different products and customers & every business needs a website and the users judge a business credibility based on the website design and
we have learnt that more than 70% of the business owners invest in creating a custom website with the help of website designer to differentiate their website from competitors & have as USP.
Because of all these reasons website development as a career option will continue to grow in future and also has a good future and scope ahead.
You can learn more about whether website development is a good career or not by looking at the pros and cons in detail clicking here.
Because of all these amazing reasons I still believe that web development as a career is going to thrive/grow and it is not going to get replaced or become obsolete and die in future.
Do let me know what are your thoughts about web development as a career option in the comment section below and whether you think it is going to die in future or not.
Share the blog post with your friends and subscribe to my blog to receive notifications regarding whenever I publish a new post in future.
Hey I am Praneeth Kumar, i am a 20 years old blogger, i am doing BA arts degree from a reputable college, i have alot of passion and interest in educating others on various career options and universities available and This exact information is what I share on this Website.
Comments are closed.