Computer science is one of the most popular branches every student considers as a career after completing their 12th with maths physics and chemistry as their main subjects.
And if you are confused regarding which career option you should choose between engineering and bachelor’s degree of computer science which are the two most popular career options for students in India.
You don’t need to worry about it any more.
So in this blog we will take a look at everything you need to know about two different branches of similar subjects bachelor of computer science and
b tech computer science engineering by observing the benefits and drawbacks of using both the options, subjects, top colleges, average packages and career opportunities, etc.
So let’s get started.
In this section we will take a look at the definition of both the branches along with some important details like subjects which are involved in the branches,
what is the eligibility criteria and career opportunities and much more in detail but let’s start with Bachelor of Science in computer science branch and then move to BTech CS.
What is BSC CS? Subjects & career opportunities?
B.sc computer science is also a 3 years course for undergraduate students that also deals with topics related to computer science this course is more theoretical and helps create great professionals and research students.
What are the subjects in BSC CS?
- Computer System Architecture:
- Data Structures
- Theory of Computation
- Design and Analysis of Algorithms
- Internet Technologies
- Computer Graphic
These are some subjects you will be taught in BSC CS.
Career opportunities in BSC CS.
Even though this branch is not a professional course but you can have numerous career opportunities after getting graduated from BSc CS like,
- Software engineering
- Web development
- Cyber security
- Game developer
- Database administrator
- Network engineer
- System administrator
And much more.
You can also pursue higher education like MSC computer science and this can lead to more opportunities in your career and also leads to a higher package of salary in bigger companies because you have more knowledge and expertise in the subject.
What is eligibility criteria for BSC CS?
The eligibility criteria to get admission in colleges in BSC computer science is that you should take PCM and have 50% minimum marks in your board exams for admission in a good college.
B.Sc Computer Science Fee Structure
The average College fees of BSC computer science in government colleges is anywhere in between 15000 to 25000 rupees and if you belong to SC and ST castes, the college fees can get reduced to half in government colleges.
If you want to get admission in private colleges you can have to spend anywhere between 40000 to 60000 rupees to get the admission.
In most cases you will get admission in colleges on your merit and how much percentage of marks you have scored in your 12th and also based on your caste and reservations.
What is BTECH CS? Subjects and career opportunities?
BTech Computer Science is a 4-year undergraduate professional course. In India, B.Tech Computer Science was one of the first courses offered in the field of computer science. Major topics in this course include Data Structures, Operating Systems, Computer Architecture, Database Management Systems, and Digital Circuits & systems.
What are the subjects there in BTech CS?
There are many major subjects you can get in BTech computer science like.
- Programming Fundamentals Using C++
- Web Technologies
- Applied Chemistry
- Multimedia Technologies
- Applied Mathematics
- Applied Physics
And much more.
Career opportunities in BTech CS.
There are many career opportunities you can pursue after getting graduated from a decent college in BTech computer science branch in India like,
- Web Developer / Software Developer
- Mobile App. Developer
- Game Developer
- Data Scientist
- Machine Learning Engineer
- Full Stack Developer / DevOps Engineer
- Multimedia Programmer
- Network Security Engineer
If you don’t like you can also pursue higher education with masters in computer science engineering or you can also do MBA.
What is the eligibility criteria for btech CS?
The conditions and eligibility criteria for Btech CS branch is that,
- The students must have studied and passed from MPC subjects which are maths physics and chemistry With more than 60% of passing percentage from a reputable college.
If you match this criteria you are eligible to get admission in any college in India for b tech computer science branch.
You can learn more about how you can get admission in the top colleges of BTech in India like IITs in detail down the line.
B tech computer science fee structure
The fee structure for pursuing B.Tech Computer Science from government-funded colleges ranges from Rs. 20,000 to Rs. 75,000. The fee for pursuing B.Tech Computer Science from private colleges starts from Rs. 1 lakh and goes up to Rs.3-4 lakh.
If you belong to lower castes like a SC, ST & BC you can get scholarship and reduction in the fees of government colleges in engineering.
Benefits and drawbacks of both:
BSc CS benefits and drawbacks
- Compared to BTech computer science, the timing of the college in BSC is less.
- College fees of BSC computer science branch is much lower compared to BTech computer science.
- Compare to btech computer science you can also write less exams and less work as compared to BSC computer science in your graduation
- The main disadvantage of Bsc computer science is they have less knowledge regarding computers and programming compared to BTech.
- Compared to BTech CS engineers, BSC CS get lower salary packages and job opportunities.
Btech CS benefits and drawbacks
- You can get high salary packages with an average salary of 6 lacs per annum and if you graduate from IIT you can get more salary package.
- It is a highly secure job because there is a lot of demand for computer science engineers in the market.
- You have more knowledge and experience in the field compared to BSc CS because you have a professional degree course.
- You can have a lot of work pressure to complete your task.
- You can have higher College fees and overall expense will be more to get your under graduation with BTech computer science compared to BSc CS.
- You can have more exams to write in your BTech CS compared to BSc CS.
- BTech computer science is four years long which is one year longer than BSC CS.
You can learn more about the pros and cons of computer science engineering here.
Top colleges & average package of both branches.
Let’s take a look at some top colleges in the branch along with the average package you can expect to get in both the branches.
Top colleges and universities of Bsc CS in india:
Here are a few best colleges and universities for BSC CS.
- Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj University
- Swami Vivekanand University
- Osmania University
- Vellore institute of technology
- SRM institute of science and technology
- Sathyabama institute of science and technology
- Periyar University
- Chandigarh University
- Kalinga University
These are some randomly selected top universities you can consider for BSC CS from different parts of India.
Although most of these colleges will give you admission based on how much percentage of the marks youhave scored in your 12th but in some universities there will be written tests which you need to pass in order to get admission for example in Osmania University you will need to pass an entrance exam in order to get admission.
And I already mentioned the fees structure of this colleges above.
Average package of BSC CS:
As a complete fresher you can expect to earn anywhere between 4 to 7 lacs per annum.
Now the package will vary depending upon your skill set and how much percentage of marks scored in your academics and also which company hired you whether
it is Tata or Infosys or CGI, IBM and your placements and package will also depend upon your university or college from where you have been graduated.
With more skills and knowledge or if you perceive higher education you can expect to earn more money in your career.
Top colleges of BTech CS:
When we look at the top colleges for engineering in computer science branch obviously IIT and NIT colleges will be on the top of the list and
there are many IIT colleges like IIT Bombay, IIT Kharagpur and IIT Madras will occupy the list but apart from it let’s see what are the other top colleges in India which are good for engineering because not everyone can join IIT.
- Vellore Institute of Technology
- Dayananda Sagar College of engineering Bangalore
- MSU Baroda
- Delhi technological University
- Jamia Millia Islamia university Delhi
- BMS College of engineering
- Jadavpur University
- JNTU University
- BITS Pilani
- Manipal institute of technology
These are some top engineering colleges apart from IIT and NIT, in order to get admission into this colleges because some colleges are private either you can pass the entrance exam or,
you can get admission based on how much percentage of marks you have scored in your 12th or you can pay the hefty amount of fees to the college to get the admission.
Apart from that if you want to get admission in the top colleges which are IITs like IIT Bombay, IIT Kharagpur and IIT Delhi, you should attend and clear JEE mains and advanced examinations which are conducted twice every year.
There are many other factors which determine whether you will get a seat in IIT college like you are rank & percentage in JEE exams, your caste and reservations, which branch you want to choose and the cutoff for it, etc.
If you want you can learn more about benefits and drawbacks of getting admission into IIT here.
Average package of BTech CS:
The average package of BTech computer science engineers are 7 lacs per annum.
If you get graduation from IITs like IIT Bombay you can get package of 20 lacs per annum on average.
And as I already mentioned your package and salary will depend upon which college you choose and get your graduation from and also upon your skill set and how much percentage of marks you have scored And also upon which company hired you.
Which Is the best branch you should consider for your under graduation?
These are all the important details I thought you should be knowing when we compare two different branches BTech CSE and BSc CSE.
And if I want to help you decide which branch is the best for your career then,
Btech CSE is best if,
- If you want to get a high salary job.
- If you want to learn coding.
- You always wanted to be an engineer or you are amazed and fascinated about the tech Industry.
BSC CS is best if,
- You want some extra time to learn skills during your graduation
- You don’t like to spend 4 years doing the course
- You don’t have the money to spend for the college
You don’t need to worry even if you choose BSc CS that you will not learn coding skills in your college because the fact is that,
you can still learn important coding skills like Java python and php on many online platforms like udemy, coursera and skillshare from the experts at cheap prices or you can also attend coding bootcamps.
With that said let’s conclude the blog post.
These are all the things you need to know in between which is the best career option between BTech computer science and BSC computer science.
Do let me know your thoughts about the blog in the comment section below.
And also please do share the blog and subscribe to my blog to receive notifications whenever I publish a new post in future.
Hey I am Praneeth Kumar, i am a 20 years old blogger, i am doing BA arts degree from a reputable college, i have alot of passion and interest in educating others on various career options and universities available and This exact information is what I share on this Website.